Thursday, May 14, 2015

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Drop Cookies

Sometimes loss can hit in completely unexpected ways… The last time I made these cookies, I had to go recipe hunting (I hadn’t made them in years). I wasn’t worried though, I would just call up Sis; she was bound to have it. That’s when it hit… an intense wave of loss. Sis had been taken from us a few years before… calling her, touching her, hearing her - these were all no goes. [For the over curious, the man responsible is enjoying a long period of captivity in a government facility.] Anyway, it took a few days to gather myself enough to recall where I had slipped a copy of the instructions… for reference, it’s in Mom’s copy of the Betty Crocker Cookie Book (I just checked my copy). And now I’m posting a copy online… just in case.


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Drop Cookies
A crumbly cookie with little spread.

In mixer, cream 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter (the original called for shortening).

Add 1 egg and beat until light and fluffy.

Add 3/4 cup sifted flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder; stir until just mixed.

Stir in 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup chocolate chips and the optional nuts (walnuts or pecans)/(raisins or dried cranberries), 1/2 cup each.

Drop heaping teaspoons of dough on greased baking sheets about 1 inch apart (they do not spread much).

Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment